Monday, March 11, 2013

Doing what you can with the little you've got

Today I'm thinking about how small things can mean a lot. I'm thinking about how a text message to a friend, a decision to say "Have a nice day!", or a choice to reach out to a neighbor can brighten someone's day. This morning when I dropped off my girls at school, a school safety patrol student opened my car door to let the girls out and said, "Have a nice day." before closing my car door. Just that small gesture made me feel just a bit happier. When I posted on Facebook that I missed the mountains in Utah, my friend Heather took a picture of the mountains outside her living room window and posted it. It still makes me smile just thinking about it.

What makes you smile?

Sometimes when I am praying for someone I will sense that I should send him/her a text message. It takes 10 seconds (depending on how fast you text). Ten seconds to show someone you care and are thinking or praying for him/her. If you're not a texter, how about sending a card? A friend of mine will send cards with little cards inside with words of encouragement. You know the ones... pictures of dogs, cats, or rainbows. Many times they are tracts with pre-printed messages. More often than not, the messages hit me hard and speak a word I desperately need to hear. A dear friend of ours once preached, "You, be the one". Be the one to reach out, smile, lend a helping hand, serve, or say "I'll do it." But being "the one" doesn't have to be something big.

Just think of the boy who had a few loaves and fishes. Think of how many people he helped feed with his small offering. That's the amazing thing about God's Kingdom. God can take small offerings and use them in powerful ways for His Kingdom. How can you "be the one" today?


1 comment: