Thursday, March 21, 2013

Listening Prayer

Yesterday at 8:15 in the morning I met with some friends to pray. Harried, after dropping off their kids to school and some toting along youngsters, we sat at my kitchen table over mugs of steaming coffee to chit chat and share prayer requests. This morning, the prayer requests were not unusual. There were, what seemed like, constant distractions from late arrivers, the rustling of coats, and a Berenstain Bear's cartoon in the background, but in the midst of this God spoke.

In the last few years I have come to understand the power of praying with others. Have you ever prayed with someone who knew exactly how to pray for you? Have you ever felt the time was anointed in some way? Well, that's exactly what happens when you pray with others who are listening to the voice of God. Some believers may see images, some may hear bible verses, some may speak in tongues, some may feel the burden others carry, some may feel God's heart for others, some may have words of knowledge or wisdom, or some may simply know how to pray. For me, my gift is hearing words to pray. Can I sometimes pray without listening to God's prompting? Sure. But if I stop to listen, I often know exactly what to pray. I simply open my mouth and the words just start flowing out.

I'm grateful for this group of women who strive to listen to the voice of God. I know that whenever I pray with them, God shows up. Are there people in your life who listen to the voice of God when they pray? If you're seeking answers or just plain needing prayer, how about calling together other believers to pray? No matter what distractions surround you, begin with listening, and prepare to be amazed!





No comments:

Post a Comment